What is another word for Colourist?

Pronunciation: [kˈʌləɹˌɪst] (IPA)

Colourist is a term used to describe a specialist in the field of art who works with color. The colorist often creates works of art with varying hues, tones and shades. However, this word has some synonyms that describe the same expertise from a slightly different perspective. A chromatician is someone with an intense focus on color as a technique for expression in art. Tintoretto is a type of colorist who favors bright and bold colors in their work. Finally, a paletteist is an artist who has a particular focus on the range and extent of colors that can be achieved by blending or layering them. These synonyms offer a broad range of descriptions for the artistry of working with colors.

What are the hypernyms for Colourist?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

Usage examples for Colourist

He married Helen Paterson, the water Colourist, whose idylls have made the name of "Mrs. Allingham" famous also.
"A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature"
John W. Cousin
Every one who undertakes domestic weaving must know how to dye one or two good colours-black, of course, and the half-black or gray which a good Colourist of my acquaintance calls light black; indigo blue equally, of course, in three shades of very dark, medium and light; and red in two shades of dark and light.
"How to make rugs"
Candace Wheeler
The complexion described as delicate and white was not in the gift of Miss Curran, who was not a Colourist.
"Mrs. Shelley"
Lucy M. Rossetti

Word of the Day

chucker-out, bouncer.