What is another word for diaeresis?

78 synonyms found


[ dˌa͡ɪəɹəɹˈiːsɪs], [ dˌa‍ɪəɹəɹˈiːsɪs], [ d_ˌaɪ_ə_ɹ_ə_ɹ_ˈiː_s_ɪ_s]

A diaeresis is a set of two dots that are placed above a vowel to indicate that the vowel is to be pronounced separately from the previous vowel or consonant. There are several synonyms for the word diaeresis, including umlaut, trema, dieresis, and trema. The term umlaut is commonly used in German, while trema is often used in French. In English, diaeresis and dieresis are both used to refer to the two dots above a vowel. Regardless of the word choice, the function of these symbols remains the same: to indicate when two vowels should be pronounced separately within the same word.

How to use "Diaeresis" in context?

The diæresis or dieresis is a punctuation mark used to show that two vowels or two consonants are not pronounced together.

Hyponym for Diaeresis:

Word of the Day

eutectic mixture