What is another word for downstroke?

Pronunciation: [dˈa͡ʊnstɹə͡ʊk] (IPA)

The term 'downstroke' is often used in reference to calligraphy or handwriting to describe the pointed stroke made downward with a writing tool. However, there are several other synonyms that can be used in its place. These synonyms include: downward stroke, descending stroke, fall, drop, descent, sag, slump, dip, and decline. Each of these synonyms can be used interchangeably depending on the context and purpose of the stroke. The use of synonyms enhances our language and helps one to communicate effectively without having to continuously repeat the same word.

Synonyms for Downstroke:

What are the hypernyms for Downstroke?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.
  • Other hypernyms:

    motion, stroke, brush stroke, descending motion, Picking Motion, Strumming Motion.

What are the hyponyms for Downstroke?

Hyponyms are more specific words categorized under a broader term, known as a hypernym.
  • hyponyms for downstroke (as nouns)

Usage examples for Downstroke

Pierce stood aside with the small needle gun in his palm waiting to see if it would be needed, while Bryce finished the downstroke of his hand that sent the knife and the junky reeling to the rubbery corridor flooring.
"The Man Who Staked the Stars"
Charles Dye
Her mouth was pursed up to almost a youthful shape as she formed the letters with her pen, and a slight move of the lip accompanied every downstroke.
"The Hand of Ethelberta"
Thomas Hardy

Related words: downstrokes, descending strokes

Related questions:

  • What is a downstroke?
  • How to draw a downstroke?
  • Are downstrokes good for singing?
  • Are downstrokes bad for singing?
  • Word of the Day

    Multiploid refers to organisms with more than two sets of chromosomes in their cells. This term is used to describe the genetic makeup of organisms that have undergone polyploidiza...