What is another word for hummock?

142 synonyms found


[ hˈʌmək], [ hˈʌmək], [ h_ˈʌ_m_ə_k]

Hummocks are elevations on the surface of land that are often rounded or knobby in shape. There are various synonyms for the word "hummock" that can be used to describe these natural formations. For instance, "knoll" refers to a small, rounded hill; "hillock" denotes a small, gentle slope or mound; "mound" describes a raised or elevated area of land; and "crest" signifies the highest point of a ridge or hill. Another synonym for "hummock" is "tump," which refers to a small, rounded hill or mound that is often covered with grass or vegetation. Whatever term you use, hummocks are fascinating features of the natural landscape.

How to use "Hummock" in context?

The science of hummock dynamics is the study of how the shapes of plants, animals or structures affect their behavior in their environment. The term hummock generally refers to a stable, elevated pediment or crest found on hills, mountains, or summits. The related terms hogback and rampart are also used.

Hummocks exhibit a characteristic form known as a "armchair" or "ladder". The arms of the chair are perpendicular to the ground, and its height is determined by the slope of the surrounding ground. The basic form of a hummock can be explained by the dynamic response of soil to weight.

Word of the Day

bound bailiff.