What is another word for scumble?

Pronunciation: [skˈʌmbə͡l] (IPA)

Scumble refers to a technique of applying a thin, transparent layer of paint to blend or soften colors in an artwork. Some synonyms for scumble include glaze, wash, tint, stain, and haze. A glaze is similar to a scumble, as it creates a translucent layer over a previous layer of paint. A wash is a thinned down paint layer to create a more delicate or light effect. Tint involves adding color to a paint or glaze, whereas a stain involves a thin application of color to create a specific effect. Finally, haze is a technique of softening or blending edges of colors together, similar to a scumble. All of these techniques can be used to create depth and texture in an artwork.

Synonyms for Scumble:

What are the hypernyms for Scumble?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.
  • Other hypernyms:

    brushwork, mixing, artistic medium, visual effect, Coating procedure, Coloring method, artistic technique, painting technique.

What are the hyponyms for Scumble?

Hyponyms are more specific words categorized under a broader term, known as a hypernym.

Usage examples for Scumble

I should advise you to let it dry, and then scumble a middle tone right over the whole thing, as you did at first, which will show the old work through, and you can then correct your drawing and proceed to paint the lights and shadows as before.
"The Practice and Science Of Drawing"
Harold Speed

Word of the Day

Dacoits, also known as bandits or robbers, are individuals who engage in criminal activities such as stealing, murder, and other violent acts. Other synonyms for dacoits include br...