What is another word for sharecropper?

95 synonyms found


[ ʃˈe͡əkɹɒpə], [ ʃˈe‍əkɹɒpə], [ ʃ_ˈeə_k_ɹ_ɒ_p_ə]

Sharecropper is a term used to describe a person who rents a piece of land from a landowner in exchange for a share of the crops produced. However, there are several synonyms for this term that are often used interchangeably. These include tenant farmer, farm laborer, agricultural worker, and cropper. A tenant farmer and sharecropper are very similar, but a tenant farmer may have more control over crops and be less beholden to the landowner. An agricultural worker may not be tied to a specific piece of land, while a cropper may rent smaller plots of land or share expenses with other farmers. Overall, these terms all refer to individuals who work the land in exchange for a share of the crops produced.

How to use "Sharecropper" in context?

A sharecropper is someone who working for a landowner who has a share in the crop produced by the sharecroppers. Sharecropping is the most common form of tenant farming in the USA.

Word of the Day