What is another word for shoji?

14 synonyms found


[ ʃˈə͡ʊd͡ʒi], [ ʃˈə‍ʊd‍ʒi], [ ʃ_ˈəʊ_dʒ_i]

Shoji is a Japanese word that refers to traditional sliding doors and partitions that are made from wood and paper. It is a popular method of dividing spaces and creating privacy in Japanese homes and architecture. There are several synonyms for the word shoji, including Fusuma, which are similar sliding doors, but thicker and opaque, Ranma, which are decorative panels that are often found above shoji doors, and Kōshi, which are latticework partitions typically found in tea rooms. Another synonym for shoji is byōbu, which is a common type of folding screen that is also used to divide space. All of these terms are used to describe different types of partitions and screens traditionally used in Japanese design.

Related words: Japanese screen, screen size, screen door, shoji screen materials, shoji screen patterns, shoji screen kits, shoji screen door, shoji screens

Related questions:

  • What are japanese screens called?
  • How do japanese screens work?
  • What is a japanese screen called in english?
  • What size is a japanese screen?

    Synonyms for Shoji:

    How to use "Shoji" in context?

    There are a few aspects of traditional Japanese living which are unique and interesting, one of these is the way in which homes are decorated.Japanese shoji screens, also known as " slidewalls ", are a common sight in Japanese homes and are used to divide rooms and to provide privacy.

    The screens are made of bamboo or paper and are designed to be folded up and away when not in use. The screens are usually decorated with a simple pattern of squares or rectangles, and they can be colourful or monochrome.

    Hyponym for Shoji:

    Word of the Day

    jam crowd-together
    "Jam" and "crowd-together" are synonymous phrases used to describe the act of packing or squeezing a large number of people or objects into a small or confined space. The words con...