What is another word for vicarage?

96 synonyms found


[ vˈɪkaɹɪd͡ʒ], [ vˈɪkaɹɪd‍ʒ], [ v_ˈɪ_k_a_ɹ_ɪ_dʒ]

A vicarage is a residence often provided to a member of the clergy. It is a term that has been around for centuries and is specific to the Anglican Church. However, there are other words that can be used synonymously with 'vicarage'. Rectory is another term used to describe a residence provided for a member of the clergy, although it is more commonly used in the Catholic faith. 'Parsonage' is also a term used to describe a residence provided for the clergy, and it is often used in the Methodist Church. Other words like 'manse' and 'glebe' are also used to describe clergy's residency. Regardless of the term used, they all refer to the same concept - a residence provided for a member of the clergy.

How to use "Vicarage" in context?

Did you ever wonder what a vicarage actually is? Essentially, a vicarage is a religious house in which a clergyman lives and conducts services. While not all vicarages are attached to a church, most churches throughout England and Wales have a vicarage. A vicarage is also commonly associated with a parish priest. A clergyman who lives in a vicarage is usually considered to be in a tenured position, which means that he has been in the same position for a set period of time and is not subject to any possibility of dismissal.

Word of the Day

night raid
sortie, Storming.