What is another word for drainage divide?

1 synonym found


[ dɹˈe͡ɪnɪd͡ʒ dɪvˈa͡ɪd], [ dɹˈe‍ɪnɪd‍ʒ dɪvˈa‍ɪd], [ d_ɹ_ˈeɪ_n_ɪ_dʒ d_ɪ_v_ˈaɪ_d]

A drainage divide refers to an imaginary line that separates one watershed from another. It is sometimes called a watershed divide, water divide, or simply a divide. Another term for this is a water parting, which describes the high point or ridge that creates the separation. Drainage basin divide and catchment divide are also sometimes used. In hydrology, the term interfluve is used to describe the ridge or area between two separate water courses. In land management, a divide serves as a natural boundary for resource allocation, and it is an important factor in determining flood and erosion hazards.

Related words: drainage divide, orographic divide, water divide, drainage basin

Related questions:

  • What is a drainage divide?
  • What is an orographic divide?
  • Where is the water divide located?

    Synonyms for Drainage divide:

    What are the hypernyms for Drainage divide?

    A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

    Word of the Day

    External Ophthalmoplegias
    External ophthalmoplegias refer to a condition involving paralysis or weakness of the extraocular muscles. These muscles control eye movements, allowing us to gaze in different dir...