What is another word for macguffin?

3 synonyms found


[ mˈakɡəfˌɪn], [ mˈakɡəfˌɪn], [ m_ˈa_k_ɡ_ə_f_ˌɪ_n]

"MacGuffin" is a term commonly used in literature and film to refer to an object, person, or goal that drives the plot forward. Synonyms for "MacGuffin" include "plot device," "catalyst," "driver," or "motivation." Another term that can be used in place of "MacGuffin" is "red herring," which refers to a false or misleading clue designed to distract audiences from the real plot or purpose. The "MacGuffin" can also be described as the "central focus," or "narrative hinge," as it is the element that ultimately ties the plot together and provides the story with its sense of purpose and direction.

Synonyms for Macguffin:

What are the hypernyms for Macguffin?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.
  • Other hypernyms:

    plot device, narrative device, story device.

What are the hyponyms for Macguffin?

Hyponyms are more specific words categorized under a broader term, known as a hypernym.

Word of the Day

Eye Evisceration
Eye evisceration is a gruesome term that refers to the removal or extraction of the eye's contents. As unpleasant as it sounds, there are a few synonyms that can be used to describ...