What is another word for anglicising?

Pronunciation: [ˈaŋɡlɪsˌa͡ɪzɪŋ] (IPA)

Anglicising refers to the process of transforming or adapting something to conform to English or British norms or standards. Synonyms for the word anglicising include Anglicization, Englishing, UK-ifying, Briticizing, and Anglicanizing. Anglicization is the closest synonym, as it also denotes the process of making something English. Englishing, on the other hand, suggests the act of translating or rendering a foreign or regional language into English. UK-ifying and Briticizing are colloquial terms that imply making something conform to the culture, norms, or traditions of the United Kingdom or British society. Anglicanizing denotes the process of making something conform to the beliefs, practices, or doctrines of the Anglican Church.

What are the hypernyms for Anglicising?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

Usage examples for Anglicising

We should hardly have seen such a nightmare as the anglicising of Ireland if we had not already seen the Germanising of England.
"The Crimes of England"
G.K. Chesterton
If anything was to be done he must begin by anglicising his appearance.
"With Zola in England"
Ernest Alfred Vizetelly

Related words: anglicise names, anglicised name, anglicise a word, how to anglicise your name, how to anglicise a word, anglicised names list

Related questions:

  • What does anglicising mean?
  • How to anglicise your name?
  • Word of the Day

    Idpm Inf Manage stands for Identity and Access Management, which is all about managing digital identities and ensuring secure access to resources. Antonyms for this term can consis...