What is another word for Anglicization?

Pronunciation: [ˌaŋɡlɪsa͡ɪzˈe͡ɪʃən] (IPA)

Anglicization refers to the act of making something English or more English in nature. However, there are several synonyms for the term Anglicization, including Anglicism, Englishing, and Anglicizing. The term Anglicism specifically refers to an English word or phrase that is adopted by another language. Englishing often means translating something into English, or making it more understandable for English speakers. Anglicizing can also refer to the process of adopting English language and customs in a foreign land. These synonyms all describe the process of adapting something to fit within the English cultural framework, whether it be language or customs.

Synonyms for Anglicization:

What are the hypernyms for Anglicization?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

Usage examples for Anglicization

The gradual process of Anglicization went on apace.
"The Evolution of Sinn Fein"
Robert Mitchell Henry
Durham's fear of French disloyalty proved to be as groundless as his ideal of complete Anglicization was futile.
"The Framework of Home Rule"
Erskine Childers
But these are almost all small places or forts, and their names represent no policy of Anglicization.
"Ancient Town-Planning"
F. Haverfield

Word of the Day