What is another word for labialized?

7 synonyms found


[ lˈe͡ɪbɪəlˌa͡ɪzd], [ lˈe‍ɪbɪəlˌa‍ɪzd], [ l_ˈeɪ_b_ɪ__ə_l_ˌaɪ_z_d]

The word labialized refers to the articulation or pronunciation of a sound that involves the rounding or protrusion of the lips. Some synonyms for labialized include rounded, protruded, pursed, bilabial, and labio-velar. Rounded and protruded both refer to the shaping of the lips, while bilabial and labio-velar are more technical terms used in linguistics to describe the placement of the tongue and lips when producing specific sounds. Pursed is a term often used to describe the movement of the lips when producing fricative or plosive sounds. Overall, these synonyms help to describe the various ways in which the lips are involved in the production of speech sounds.

Related words: labialized consonants, labialization, labialization of consonants, labialization of sounds

Related questions:

  • What are labialized consonants?
  • Are labialized consonants a language feature?
  • What is a labialized consonant?
  • How to pronounce a labialized consonant?

    Synonyms for Labialized:

    What are the hypernyms for Labialized?

    A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

    Word of the Day

    phonemic split
    A phonemic split refers to the process in which a single sound from a parent language diverges into two or more distinct sounds in a descendant language. This linguistic phenomenon...