What is another word for pulley-block?

Pronunciation: [pˈʊlɪblˈɒk] (IPA)

A pulley-block is a device used to lift heavy objects. It consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or chain that runs over it. There are various synonyms for the word pulley-block, including pulley, sheave, block and tackle, block and pulley, pulley wheel, winch, and hoist. Each of these words implies a slightly different type of lifting mechanism. For example, a winch is a type of pulley that is powered by a motor rather than a manual force. A hoist refers to any lifting device, not just those that use pulleys. Regardless of the specific synonym used, they all describe a tool that is essential for lifting heavy loads using the mechanical advantage provided by a grooved wheel.

Synonyms for Pulley-block:

What are the hypernyms for Pulley-block?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

Word of the Day

Traumatic Encephalopathies Chronic
Traumatic Encephalopathies Chronic refers to a brain condition that is caused by repeated hits to the head, which affects mood, behavior, and cognitive abilities. The term antonym ...