What is another word for yard-arm?

10 synonyms found


[ jˈɑːdˈɑːm], [ jˈɑːdˈɑːm], [ j_ˈɑː_d_ˈɑː_m]

The word "yard-arm" is typically used to refer to one of the horizontal beams on a ship's mast that hold up the sails. However, there are several synonyms for this term that can be used interchangeably in different contexts. Some of the most common synonyms for yard-arm include spar, boom, gaff, and yard. These terms are often used by sailors and shipwrights to describe various parts of a ship's rigging, and can be helpful in communicating about specific components of a vessel. Whether you're a boating enthusiast or just interested in maritime history, understanding these synonyms can deepen your knowledge of seafaring and sailing technology.

Synonyms for Yard-arm:

How to use "Yard-arm" in context?

Yard-arm is a unit of angular measure equal to 2 degrees. It is also used informally in the United States to refer to a long, thin horizontal coastline.

Word of the Day

earnings, lucre, net, net income, net profit, profit, win, winnings, profits, Halves.