What is another word for semivowel?

101 synonyms found


[ sˌɛmɪvˈa͡ʊə͡l], [ sˌɛmɪvˈa‍ʊə‍l], [ s_ˌɛ_m_ɪ_v_ˈaʊ_əl]

How to use "Semivowel" in context?

Semivowel is a vowel sound made when a person speak with their tongue slightly rounded on the back of the mouth. This makes the vowel sound similar to the letter "y" in "yes," "my," and "mite." Semivowels are found in some languages, but are not common. There are six semivowels in English: wee, mee, aye, oo, ee, and ah.

Word of the Day