What is another word for Stylobate?

Pronunciation: [stˈa͡ɪləbˌe͡ɪt] (IPA)

Stylobate is a term used in architecture to refer to the flat base or platform upon which a colonnade or row of columns is placed. However, there are few other words that can be used as synonyms for this term, including foundation, pedestal, plinth, and substructure. Foundation is the most commonly used term to describe the base upon which a structure is built. A pedestal is a raised platform that supports a statue or other decorative object. Plinth refers to the square block of stone at the base of a column, while substructure is a general term that describes the base of any structure. All of these words are often used interchangeably with stylobate in architecture to describe various forms of supports and foundations.

Synonyms for Stylobate:

What are the hypernyms for Stylobate?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

Usage examples for Stylobate

They are clad after the manner of their time, and lying at length on a Stylobate, strewn with flower-de-luces.
"Paris As It Was and As It Is"
Francis W. Blagdon
They had, however, no base, but were supported by a continuous Stylobate.
Stratton D. Brooks
Had the architect wished equality of height for the eastern and western colonnades he would have been compelled to place the Stylobate of the western two courses lower.
"Problems in Periclean Buildings"
G. W. Elderkin

Related words: stylobate, stylobate architecture, stone stylobate, stylobate definition, stylobate | oed, stylobate | merriam-webster, stylobate | latinamerican, stylobates

Related questions:

  • What is a stylobate?
  • What is a stylobate used for?
  • Word of the Day

    The term "getupandgo" refers to an individual's innate motivation to take action and accomplish goals. Its antonyms can be used to describe a person who lacks motivation or is gene...