What is another word for chamfer?

Pronunciation: [t͡ʃˈamfə] (IPA)

The term chamfer is used to describe a beveled edge or corner formed by cutting away a portion of a material. However, there are several synonyms for this word that can be used interchangeably. One such term is "bevel," which is commonly used in woodworking and construction. Another synonym is "mitre," which is commonly used in furniture-making and picture framing. The word "angled cut" can also be used in place of chamfer when discussing metalworking. Lastly, the term "wedge" can be used to describe a chamfer in the context of carving or shaping wood or stone. These synonyms can add variety and precision to one's language when discussing this common technique.

Synonyms for Chamfer:

What are the paraphrases for Chamfer?

Paraphrases are restatements of text or speech using different words and phrasing to convey the same meaning.
Paraphrases are highlighted according to their relevancy:
- highest relevancy
- medium relevancy
- lowest relevancy
  • Independent

What are the hypernyms for Chamfer?

A hypernym is a word with a broad meaning that encompasses more specific words called hyponyms.

What are the hyponyms for Chamfer?

Hyponyms are more specific words categorized under a broader term, known as a hypernym.
  • hyponyms for chamfer (as verbs)

Usage examples for Chamfer

It is usual, however, to chamfer off the half threads at the ends of the dies, because if left of their full height they are apt to break off when in use.
"Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II"
Joshua Rose
It is sometimes the practice, however, to chamfer off the first two threads on one side of the dies, leaving the teeth on the other side full, and to use the chamfered as the leading side in all cases in which the thread on the work does not require to be cut up to a shoulder, but turning the dies over with the full threaded teeth as the leading ones when the thread does require to be carried up to a head or shoulder on the work.
"Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II"
Joshua Rose
For example, the chamfer at A may be ground farther towards B, and still leave in action sufficient teeth to equal in width of chaser the diameter of the bolt.
"Modern Machine-Shop Practice, Volumes I and II"
Joshua Rose

Word of the Day

"Emigrations" is a term that refers to the act of leaving one's country of origin to settle in a different one. Some synonyms for this term are migration, immigration, relocation, ...